Well, I did it. All by myself. I made a dozen bars of soap in January and they are ready to use. This was my first unaided attempt. I’m very happy that it worked, but I did learn a few things.
Scenting: I definitely need to add more scented oils. I was afraid of getting too rambunctious and scaled it way back. Too much so, I doubt I even used 20 drops of each scent. So, these bars pretty much just smell like soap. That’s definitely not a bad thing, considering that’s what it is, but I want to punch up the lavender and tea tree oil much more next round.
Beeswax: I wanted to add beeswax to harden and add some color. I shaved it sloppily and had different sized chunks. The larger chunks didn’t melt, and so I have some wax chunks in my soap. That doesn’t bother me as much as the fear of chunks of wax jamming my plumbing. I’ve picked them out as I wash so they don’t create that clog. Next time I will bring out my beeswax crock pot and start it up first thing. That way I can add it as a liquid. Problem solved.
Mold: I used an old, rusty cast iron pan for my mold. I lay plastic wrap, thoroughly I thought, over the top so I could easily release the soaps. Next time, first I will clean than pan and then I will spend much more time on that plastic wrap. It was loose, and a lot of rust got on the outside of two or three of my bars. It came off, but it was a waste of time. I just need to prep better.
With these notes, I’m excited to make another batch in the next week or so. I like the small batches for now as I’m learning. I think the repetition and learning experiences are valuable. All in all, I’m ever so gleeful that I’ve tackled something I’ve wanted to do for many, many years and that my learning curve finally started.